I have to hand it to the marketing department of carfax. They have everyone asking for a carfax when they go out shopping for a car. I think it's both a good and bad thing. First, let me say that I think carfax reports are very good for consumers. It gives them an insight on what they are buying. However, like any guide , it's just that. A guide. Not the bible according to carfax. And here is the bad side. One, if it hasn't been on a police report or insurance claim, an accident doesn't show up on carfax. Secondly, and this is my biggest beef, carfax only shows that a car that has been in an accident that doesn't deploy airbags or have airbags go off, had an accident.It doesn't say what kind of accident other than naming the area damaged. Major fender bender? Small scrape that you report to your insurance co so you can get your baby fixed up like new? Who knows? I think carfax should somehow fix the glitch. Maybe a copy of the accident report? or howmuch the insurance co paid out to fix the accident? I know there are a number of people out there who will not buy a car with an accident reported on carfax.Come on people! Have you ever had a fender bender? Did you get the car fixed? Did it serve you well until you sold it or traded it for your next ride? Well? What makes your car any different than the thousands of cars with accidents reported on carfax? I'm not talking about frame damage or airbag deployment, I'm talking about fender benders. Since I don't think the problem will be fixed anytime soon, my solution and suggestion to you is this: READ the carfax report. How long ago and how many miles ago did the accident occur? Years ago? Thousands of miles ago? If this is the case, which in most instances it is, it's probably ok to buy the car.Look at the area mentioned. Does the paint match? Is the body work that was done, done well? Does everything line up and look to be in good shape? Not sure? Ask a professional.That's all for today.
I'm in the car business for more that 30 years! Have questions? Just ask
Joe Edine
No comments:
Post a Comment